May 7, 2013

Quinhagak, Alaska


















  In September I spent five days in the Yup'ik village of Quinhagak in southwest AK. As in the previous post (below), I was taking images for a "Beyond the Road" feature to be published in First Alaskans Magazine. I thought it would be fun to share the magazine layout as well as a selection of "final" images so you can see what I submitted and what the designer chose.

  Quinhagak is a special village for me because a good friend of mine, John O. Mark, was born and raised there and it's wonderful to be able to visit with him and his family. I owe him, and his wife Grace, a huge thank you for putting me up and feeding me the entire time!

 The opening double-page spread is above, following are the other eight pages of the final layout.
























 As always, Annette at First Alaskans did a great job. I of course, wish every image made it in as a two page spread!

  Here is a good sampling of the images I submitted: (click image to view larger size)




































































































7 comments:

  1. Thanks Mark! That means a lot coming from you.
    Thanks for looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayde, the lighting is incrediable, absoultely beautiful. You had a lot of patience, waiting for the right moment. Another great spread worthy of yet another award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen. I've been wondering where you were!

      Delete
  3. These are very beautiful. They taught me more about seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni,
      Thank you so much for looking and the kind words.

      Delete
  4. Your photographs are so beautiful. The composition of all your shots are so amazing. And I enjoyed the story of Quinhagak very much too. Thanks for sharing them. -Sally

    ReplyDelete